To determine if your Pepper Mill is Design “A”, or Design “B”, use the following information:
If you hold the bottom of the mill, and turn the body to obtain fresh ground pepper, your mill is Design “A”. Please choose the TAB marked Design "A".
If you hold the body of the mill, and turn the top to obtain fresh ground pepper, your mill is Design “B”. The following information describes the procedure to fill Design "B" Pepper Mills:
Design "B" Filling Procedure:
To fill BOTH Salt and Pepper, complete steps 1 thru 9. To fill Salt ONLY, complete steps 1 thru 7, and step 9. To fill Pepper ONLY, complete steps 1, 8,and 9.
1. Hold Body of Pepper Mill, and pull TOP (Shaker) straight UP.
Hold Body and PULL Shaker UP.
2. Remove "Retaining Pin" (1/4" Maple Pin)
Remove Retaining Pin.
3. Remove "Salt/Drive Plug", by turning counterclockwise.
Turn Plug counterclockwise.
4. Add Salt to within 1/2" of holes used by "Retaining Pin". (DO NOT OVERFILL) NOTE: In moist climates, it may be necessary to all a small amount of rice.
Fill Salt to within 1 1/2' of Top.
5. Reinstall "Salt/Drive Retaining Plug.
install Retaining Plug, turn clockwise.
6. Turn "Salt/Drive Retaining Plug" clockwise to position where "Witness Mark" aligns with "Witness Mark" on Shaker, and holes for "Retaining Pin" are clear. CAUTION: DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN, PERMANENT DAMAGE COULD OCCUR.
Align hole for Retaining Pin.
7. Reinsert "Retaining Pin". (Guaranty that Pin is flush)
Insert Retaining Pin.
8. Add Pepper Corns to Pepper Mill Body. (Use "Fill Line", DO NOT OVERFILL)
Fill Pepper Corns to "Fill Line".
9. Engage "Salt/Drive Retaining Plug with Silver shaft in Body. Push Shaker into Body until Pepper Mill is completely reassembled.